I told her I had lived in Sydney for about nine years and our conversation expanded from there. It was such a great moment, to hear and communicate in that Australian accent that doesn't seem to exist much on campus..so far.
I was also able to talk to the father, while the mother was in the fitting room. He told me that he and his family are here in Tokyo for vacation and that they are going back to Lane Cove tomorrow. Then, he told me, "Going back to REALITY!" This phrase made me think for a while. What is reality? Because to me, the time in Australia now feels like it was all a dream and now, I feel as though I am in "reality" here in Japan.
To me, I have relaxing, entertaining, warm but busy memories in Australia. Looking back at the life there now, it feels as though I was in a dream. I may be feeling like this because back then I was just a junior high school student, compared to myself now when I am becoming an adult. Maybe I was not "thinking" that much back then.
In ICU, it feels like I am half in reality and half the opposite- dream?
Japanese High School felt it was "reality" twenty for seven, which I think it was such a huge experience for me and made me learn, think more.
Life in Australia until Junior high, now feels like it was a long dream.
Wonder what life is going to feel like when I graduate. Now that I am used to living in Japan compared to myself 5 years ago, I think I can keep the half/half and structure my life to enjoy it.. I hope.
Your topic is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteFrom reading your topic, I thought that the language is one of the factor which provides reality.
When you were in Australia, most of the language around you would be Australian English.
However, in Japan, almost all of the language is Japanese.
I thought that these language differences may affect your feeling of reality.
Riki,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment.
I'm very interested in your comment that language may be the factor.
Could you tell me in more detail what you mean by language??
Hope to hear from you soon