Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Open Topic: How do you"think?"

I have a question to my ELP class mates.

"How do you 'think'?"

We all are able to speak and write in two different languages, Japanese and English and maybe some others may be able fluent in another different language. Therefore when you think, do you think in Japanese or do you think in English? Or other language?

I am not so sure if this is common, but I do not seem to think in a language. Whenever I am thinking, which is becoming like a hobby these days.., there is no Japanese nor English, there is no language. However, there are "pictures" or "images" flowing through my brain and that is also how I dream.
When I am dreaming, I know the moment when a person is speaking but I don't really hear something but I "sense" that he or she is saying what they are trying to say but I mostly can tell and understand that by their facial expressions, movements, or the tone of their voice..?

I cannot seem to explain this clearly but I am curious if anybody has the same sort of "thinking" or "dreaming" as I do.


1 comment:

  1. I remember talking to you about this topic, and still feel I don't think in languages. When I'm writing this comment for example, I decide what to write in my head using feelings and images that turn out to be in English only when they come out. And it's English because that's the language I chose to express my thoughts.

    The people who appear in my dreams move their mouths and I sort of imagine what they are saying. In my dreams that's how I "hear" sound. More like they are talking directly in my head (well they are, it's a dream).

    I think about this often. Maybe languages are tools that people use to express the images and feelings inside their heads.
    I don't know.
    But it's interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.